My Life In The Middle Side: Grades Are Just Numbers.

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Grades Are Just Numbers.


“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”  John Lennon

                What is the connection of this quotation with the title? Well, it’s simple as pie. As you may have observed a good number of students tend to neglect their studies. But, before you judge these students as lazy and stupid, have you ever asked yourself as to why these students neglect their studies? Reality check, you don’t even stay with these students 24/7, so what gives you the right to judge them?
                Amazingly, people and even teachers will make conclusions that these students who are neglectful towards their studies in school are incompetent, lazy and will not go far someday – they’re wrong. I am proud to say that I am one of those students who tend to neglect their studies in school. I am always happy and satisfied with a passing grade because I know I did my best. I am happy knowing I did my best. Some may argue and say that I do not dream, aim high or am someone who doesn’t want to improve, or even someone who is just too lazy to do something for the improvement of his life. Well, the people who think of me this way are wrong. Because what if just having a passing grade gives me happiness? What if by neglecting my studies I am able to do the things that make me happy? Isn’t that what life is really about? Being happy? What’s the sense of living when you are not happy with what you do?
                You may perceive these students as stubborn, lazy, stupid, and useless, but can’t you see? You’re the one who’s stubborn, lazy, stupid and useless! Why? Because you need to judge someone just to make yourself happy and satisfied. These people, even though they neglect their studies, even though they don’t do well in school, even though they don’t have a clear future ahead, albeit they are the ones who’re really happy right now. These people light up the dark, makes your day worthwhile, gives you problems and they are the one’s who makes the teacher’s day exciting. Imagine this, what if all of the students in the world are very studious? What will happen then? No one will be late, no one getting scolded, no one opposing someone and of course no one breaking the rules, do you think it’ll be a better world? Or will it be just a boring world?
                Yes, when students neglect their studies they will have a tendency to fail and not learn anything. Well, not all students are like that! People should stop stereotyping these students because each and every one of us here in this world is unique. We all have different perspectives in life; we grow up with very different things in life. People should stop comparing their life with someone else’s because they don’t know what that person has been through. What we can do is ask the reasons why these students are neglecting their studies? Well, if you ask me this, it is because I am not interested with what the teacher is talking about. This makes me neglect my studies. Here is the thing, during class I tend to be absent or late therefore missing a lot of topics that my teacher has discussed. There was this one time when my professor asked us to make a press release and present it in class, the funny thing is when our teacher discussed about the press release I was absent, yet during the presentation of the press release I was the only one who got it right! The one who rarely goes to class on time or the one who rarely focuses his mind about studies beat the ones who focuses their minds and the ones who do not neglect their studies, the funny thing is, I learned more from self studying than listening to my teacher, it is kind of ironic because my parents pay for these teachers for me to learn, yet I learn more things from the internet and reading books which are free of charge. It just goes to show that even though some student neglects their studies that don’t mean that these students will not perform or do well. We are all unique individuals, and that’s a fact!
                To those students who tend to neglect their studies, I want to tell you this, GRADES ARE JUST NUMBERS! They don’t represent you as a student. You can have a high grade in school, but I tell you this, grades won’t get you anywhere, it is you yourself who will get you somewhere. You need to believe in yourself and stop listening to people who pull you down. Do what makes you happy! At the end of the day life is not about the numbers, the grades, the teachers, the subjects, the lates, the late submissions, the money, and other people. Life is about the sadness, the happiness, the wisdom, the truth, the oneness, the understanding and lastly, life is about YOU.

No comments: